Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

New Jersey - Winter in October (yuck)

I know that snow in October is not so unusual for some of you in other areas of the country or world.

Here in New Jersey we do not, ever, expect a major snow storm in October. Especially not one that dumps over 19" of very wet, heavy snow!  January, of course.  December, Ok.  November, rarely.  But October NEVER!

For me, it's incredibly unwelcome!
I've made my opinion on snow very clear a few posts back.  As great a lodge bunny as I make, I don't ski, I don't like winter sports & I don't like to be cold.  Kinda stinks when you live within a 20 minute drive to about 4 ski areas (that I can think of off the top of my head).  Gimme my beach, sun & frosty beverage!

The children were in absolute awe over the big chunky flakes that kept falling.  They were absolutely joyous on the thought of building snowmen & trudging around in the cold wet stuff.

Me?  I watched the high winds blow & the snow fall while watching the power lines sway.  The heavy chunks of snow weighed them down and then fell off in large blobs.  At the same time I counted power surges and kept my fingers crossed that power would remain.  Thankfully it did.

This was no average snow storm.  19" of heavy, wet snow and high winds, while leaves are still on the trees led way to downed trees, large branches and downed power lines.  Over 500 thousand homes in New Jersey are still without power since Saturday.  Over 300 thousand in Connecticut & over 200 thousand in New York - still without power, five days later.  Comparably - some say it's worse than the recent Hurricane Irene that blew through just a few short months ago.

Luckily, and thank You Lord - we were spared much damage.  I, for sure, lost my very pretty Red Maple out front (at the peak of it's beauty) and our daughter's swing set was victim to a rather large tree branch - but we kept power & heat.  Many of my friends remain in the dark (and cold).

We Jersey folk aren't wimps by any stretch of the imagination.  We can hang with the best of 'em - but we're definitely being tested!

To my local friends in the dark - if you need me, let me know.  (For one of my friend, who will know exactly who she is when she reads this,  No fishing!  Just spit it out.  I don't catch on - lol)

In all seriousness, my house is your house - what's mine is yours - if you need, let me know.

Here's to a speedy end of this early winter & the white stuff!

Stay warm!

Thank you for reading my blog!

~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posting via
http://mydailyjenn-ism.blogspot.com/
Thank you for checking it out!