Total Pageviews

Friday, March 16, 2012

Be careful what you wish for...

When I was in my early 20's I dated someone much older than I.  Now it doesn't seem like much, but in my early 20's - it probably made a bit of a difference.

I was absolutely ga-ga over him.  I was this young little thing and he was this "worldly" older man, as far as I was concerned.  All happy go lucky, and always smiling.  He had really great energy & I just loved it!
I'll never forget the one day we were out together and he told me, "Be careful what you wish for."

I was totally starry eyed.  The birds were singing, the flowers were blooming, love love love love love love love...I totally did NOT get it!

Ahhh, naivete...to be young again.

He was right, of course.

Not because he was some sort of cad or awful person, he was a great guy and we had a lot of fun together.

The fact is, he was quite a bit older than I (not telling how much older) and knew better for me.

I can honestly say that even though I haven't seen or spoken to him in years, I still think the world of him.

 
I now consider his bit of wisdom a gift, and something I've carried with me throughout my life.  It gave me reason to take a step back and look at the entire picture from the outside & think...Is this something I REALLY want?  Or - is my "I want it, and I want it now" going to give me a good swift kick in the rear?

As I've gotten, eh hem, older (ugh) and wiser, I appreciate this so much more.  This bit of wisdom has made a huge difference in my life - even if I didn't like it much when I received it.

So I say thank you, kind Sir for sharing your wisdom & kindness.

Sending virtual hugs to someone who made a difference in my life.

And in honor of the upcoming St. Patrick's Day Holiday:

An Irish Blessing
May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back.  May the sunshine warm upon your face, and the rain fall softly on your fields.  And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Thank you for reading my blog!

~Peace~Love and Tie Dye~

~Jenn

1 comment:

  1. ahhh my young friend, the days of wine and roses! It's amazing how things happen in our lives just when we need them the most. Today it was your turn, so I say "thank you Jen" you've made me smile today and in my time of cloudiness it was much needed, be blessed! chris

    ReplyDelete

Posting via
http://mydailyjenn-ism.blogspot.com/
Thank you for checking it out!