Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Adventures of Waggy in Grocery Land...

As I've mentioned before, my husband does the grocery shopping.

This was his idea, not mine.  He thinks he's saving money & I hate to grocery shop - so it's a total win win in that area.

Now honey, if you're reading this - and I know you are since you saw your name, put on your sense of humor pants and just in case you forget to be good humored, I love you :)

Soooo....hubby gets himself ready to go shopping.  He is awesome with his little list and the store circular and his coupons.  I get all hot and bothered just thinking about it.  Yeah, I appreciate a man who has it all together.

Then out the door he goes, and the phone rings.  My gosh, honey - you just pulled out of the driveway - what could you possibly need?

Ok, now onto the grocery store...First, the produce aisle -- picks up the phone Dial "Sweetness".  That's me.  Isn't he cute?

Hubby:  "Honey, those small red potatoes you want...  Well they're $5 for a 1 lb bag."

Me:  "Yes dear, I know.  That's why I wanted to get them from Circle Farms.  They're better and cheaper."

Hubby:  "Well how about I get the white ones instead.  They're cheaper."

Me:  "No dear, if you want the potatoes I make - you need to get the ones I ask for or it won't taste the same."

Hubby:  "They're just potatoes & the 5 lb bag is only $2."

Me:  (In a huff.)
"Listen, you wanted me to make you those certain potatoes.  That's what I need to make them and that's what you need to get.  They have a different flavor.  Ya know what do what you want - get them, don't get them - spend $5 bucks, don't spend $5 - I don't care!  You asked me what I need, I'm telling you what I need.  That's what I need."

Conversation over...

He came home with what he thought was right and got 2 bags.  Not his fault, the grocery store does not have what the farmer's market has.

Let's go to Issue #2 - but not without an explanation first.
I do the cooking.  I like to cook, he likes to eat.  Things taste a certain way because I use the ingredients I like to use & prefer.  I don't count pennies - I want my family to be happy.  I get what I want.

So when I say I want Hellmann's mayonnaise.  Don't bring me home Kraft - or worse, Miracle Whip.  Because the next time I cook you something you're going to say (think whiney) This tassstttteeessss different.  It's missing something.  Yeah, it's missing my Hellmann's!  
 
Ketchup - Heinz.  Yeah, I don't care what the world thinks about Teresa Heinz - her family makes damn good ketchup!  Don't mess with it.  I like it & that's what I want!  AND if you're gonna buy me Hunt's - YES things will taste different!

Don't even get me started on store brand items.

I will only eat Green Giant canned corn.  Green Giant corn is the ONLY canned vegetable I will eat.  Frozen corn tastes mealy to me.  I don't like it.  Bring me home another canned vegetable & it will sit in the pantry forever.

Yes, I know I sound like a spoiled brat - and no, I didn't grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth.  My mother was a horrid cook & we ate frozen fish sticks, Kraft Mac & Cheese (it was probably store brand) and Goobers PB&J.  I have evolved into spoiled brat at my own volition.

Oooh this was supposed to be about hubby's issues wasn't it??  Oh well - I rank in the issues department anyway, and it all rolls back to me.  Remember?  My blog, My blog!

I truly do appreciate my husband doing the grocery shopping - as I said, I hate it.  He can tolerate the deli line & he also leaves the house at like 7 am on a Sunday morning.  Momma is still enjoying her beauty sleep at that time.



He strolls through the store and flirts with the seafood lady.  He runs into the other grocery dads here & there.  They compare notes about the kids (the big ones) and move along.  It's like the coffee clutch for dads.  Or not...

On a serious note - yes there may be 1200 phone calls & arguments from the second he walks out the door until he walks back in with 8 bag of groceries BUT he is willing to step up and help me out.  That is something I truly appreciate...

And every once in a while, I totally mess with him & these are the makings of really good stories!  (click on the link for another story)

Thank you for reading my blog!

~Jenn

PS.  Love you, honey :)  xxoo

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a keeper! Grocery shopping with my guy is so nerve wracking because I'm the penny pincher (love me some store brands) and he's the one who takes no list and blindly goes up and down every isle just chucking stuff in that he thinks "looks right" which is how we end up with the most random crap. We've agreed to only shop together when necessary because it always leads to me putting half the cart back. (We just don't need hot dogs with the cheese stuffed inside).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man - why do they all do this? Even when I text a list - a very specific list - to The Hubby, he gets it wrong. Then I feel like a jerk for complaining about the stuff he brought home. Great post! Hey - I hope you don't mind - I tagged you on my blog for an 11 question blogger game. I would love to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind at all! Thank you for thinking of me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny how men can do that. My hubby has decided to do most of the shopping on his way home and it's a frustrating experience for me. He forgets the "must haves", doesn't use the coupons I send with him, and calls me a million times about what cereal to buy, or what juice, or any other choice he's forced to make.

    New follower from the blog hop
    http://lifeexperienceneeded.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband rarely does the shopping and when he does it's always a total crap shoot as to what you will get! He heads off with a specific list but comes back with his version of what was on the list. "Oh, this was on sale. The kids will eat this (No, they won't!). I'll eat this for lunches (No, he won't!), etc. I try to appreciate the fact that he went to the store for me but it really only ends up being more work for me. Plus, I'm one of those weird people who enjoy the grocery store!

    Following back from the hop! http://www.dollopsofdiane.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby does the shopping too, I get trolly-rage just thinking of it!

    ReplyDelete

Posting via
http://mydailyjenn-ism.blogspot.com/
Thank you for checking it out!